traveling with a pet
Small, domesticated cats and dogs that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat in front of you are accepted.
- The pet carrier is limited to maximum dimensions of 8.5” high x 18.5” long x 13.5” wide.
- The carrier must be leak proof and ventilated on at least two sides.
- The pet must remain in the carrier and under the seat for the duration of the flight.
- The pet carrier counts as either a passenger’s one (1) carry-on bag or personal item.
Pets will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis on AirTran-operated flights until capacity is reached. Six pets are allowed per flight with a limit of one pet carrier per paying customer traveling on the same flight. However, from time to time, circumstances may allow for more (or fewer) than six (6) pet carriers per scheduled flight.
Of course, assistance animals providing support to customers with a disability are always welcome onboard regardless of the number of pets already booked on the flight.
Pet Reservation and Payment Information
- AirTran-operated Flights: Advanced reservations must be made by calling AirTran Airways at 1-800-AIR-TRAN (1-800-247-8726), and the Pet Fare payment will be required at that time. On the day of travel, customers must bring the pet to the airport in an approved pet carrier. Proceed to the airport ticket counter to check the pet in before going to the departure gate.
- Shared-itinerary Flights: Pets are now allowed on flights that include a Southwest Airlines segment. However, advanced pet reservations are not available for shared itineraries at this time. On the day of travel, customers must bring the pet to the airport in an approved pet carrier. Proceed to the airport ticket counter to book the pet’s reservation and pay the Pet Fare before going to the departure gate.
- Southwest-operated Flights: Information regarding pet travel on Southwest-operated Flights can be found on southwest.com/pets.
Note: The Pet Fare is subject to change at any time.
In many airports, AirTran Airways sells Southwest Airlines branded pet carriers for $48 at the ticket counter.
AirTran Airways and Southwest Airlines do not transport pets as checked baggage.