seat assignment overview
AirTran Airways offers several advance seat assignment options. Whether you select your seat assignment in advance or not, all customers will receive a seat assignment prior to boarding their flight.
Advance seat assignments are available for purchase at any time with Discount Coach and Sale fares. Prices vary by seat. For customers who purchase Regular Coach fares (Y, B or M fare classes), some seat selections are complimentary.
You may view the seating options and make your selection during the booking process, or you may retrieve your reservation and select your seat assignments at a later time.
Some seats offer special benefits:
- Premium coach seats toward the front of the cabin offer priority boarding
- Exit row seats offer additional leg room and priority boarding
All customers choosing exit row seating (whether purchased in advance or assigned at check-in) must meet certain requirements to qualify for exit row seating. See details below for exit row requirements.
Priority Boarding Option -- for discount coach and sale fares
Once you have a seat assignment, if you will be boarding with our general zones, you have the option to stow your bags and settle into your seat sooner. Opt into Priority Boarding during check-in and you’ll be upgraded to boarding zone 2 from general boarding -- Priority Boarding is $10.00 per passenger.
Advance seat assignments are complimentary when purchasing Business Class fares.
Complimentary Seat Assignments
Customers with disabilities may request a complimentary seat assignment at the time of booking by contacting the AirTran Airways Reservations Center. A2B Corporate customers may request a seat assignment by booking online or contacting the A2B Corporate Desk. A+ Rewards Elite members may request a seat assignment by booking online or contacting the A+ Rewards Desk.Back to Top
Seat Selection Process
- You may access the Seat Selection page from 2 locations:
- After entering your passenger and contact information during the booking process, click on the "select seats" button.
- To select seats at a later time, retrieve your itinerary and click on the "change seats" button in the upper right corner of the itinerary page.
- Select a seat for the first passenger by clicking on any available seat (indicated by the color white).
- If you’re traveling with more than one passenger, after you select a seat for the first passenger, the system will automatically highlight the next passenger.
- Select seats for each passenger in turn.
- After assigning seats for all passengers, click the "next flight" button (or the "done" button if you have only 1 flight). Your selections will be saved and the seat map for your next flight will be displayed.
- If there is a fee for your seat selection, the price will be displayed when you roll over the seat and in the passenger list next to each seat selection, with a total price for all flights displayed at the end of each passenger's row and a grand total for all passengers shown below.
- After selecting seats for all the passengers on each flight, click the "done" button. If you have selected exit row seating, you must indicate that you meet the qualifications for exit row seating before you can continue.
- Your selections will be saved and you will next see the Payment page. (If there is no fee for your seat selections and you have already purchased your ticket, you will next see your Itinerary Confirmation again).
If you forget to select yours seats at the time of purchase, you may retrieve your itinerary later and select your seats. In the top right corner of your itinerary you will see the “Change Seats” button. Whether you select your seat assignment in advance or not, all customers will receive a seat assignment prior to boarding their flight.
Bulkhead seating can only be assigned by an AirTran Airways Crew Member at the airport.Back to Top
To qualify for Exit Row seating, you must be:
- 15 years of age or older
- Willing and able to help in the event of an emergency
- Not traveling with an infant, children or pets
- Able to speak and understand English
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Not using a seat belt extender (which could get tangled in an emergency)
Whether you select your seat assignment in advance or not, all customers will receive a seat assignment prior to boarding their flight.