frequently asked questions
Infants & Children
What are your policies for children traveling alone without an adult?
AirTran defines an unaccompanied minor as a child at least five (5) years of age but less than twelve (12) years of age who is not accompanied by a customer twelve (12) years of age or older. All applicable fees will apply.
Unaccompanied minors will be accepted for travel, with limitations, based on their itinerary. AirTran does not accept unaccompanied minors on international flights.
- A child five (5) through eleven (11) years of age will be accepted only on nonstop or direct flights between their origin and destination. AirTran Airways reserves the right not to transport unaccompanied minors on flights that may be diverted or cancelled due to weather or other operational disruptions.
- Unaccompanied minors will not be booked on connecting flights.
- Passengers 12 years of age or older will no longer be accepted as unaccompanied minors.
- Proof of age in the form of a birth certificate or other form of valid identification for the child is required upon check-in at the ticket counter to travel as an unaccompanied minor.
- Unaccompanied minors will be charged a fee of $50 one-way per child on nonstop and direct flights or $100 roundtrip per child.
Please advise AirTran Airways if the reservation is for an unaccompanied minor. AirTran will need information regarding the individual designated to take custody of the unaccompanied minor at the final destination. The designated individual will be required to present positive identification and sign a release.
Originating City — Departure Gate
AirTran Airways asks that you have the unaccompanied child check in at the departure gate at least one (1) hour prior to scheduled departure. The child will be courtesy-boarded and identified to the Flight Attendant as an unaccompanied child. Unaccompanied children arriving after the courtesy-boarding process has been completed will be boarded last, to ensure identification to the Flight Attendant. The person escorting the unaccompanied minor to the gate must remain at the gate until the flight is airborne.
Destination City — Meeting an Unaccompanied Minor
The child will be escorted off the aircraft by a Flight Attendant and released to the designee or another designated AirTran Airways Crew Member. AirTran Airways will require the person picking up the unaccompanied child to produce positive identification and sign a release. If an unaccompanied minor is not met at the destination airport, AirTran Airways will make every attempt to reach the adult sending the child or the adult responsible for meeting the child. If AirTran Airways is unable to make contact with the adults listed in the reservation the Unaccompanied Minor will be returned to his/her originating city at the expense of the adult who sent the UM. As a last resort, if the responsible adults for the UM are delinquent in meeting the child and/or responding to calls, AirTran Airways will place the child in the custody of local authorities or child protective services.
AirTran Airways hopes you will understand these requirements are intended for the safety and well-being of your child.Back to FAQ Index | Next FAQ (Infants & Children)