frequently asked questions
How many pieces of baggage may I travel with?
Per TSA regulations, all customers traveling on AirTran Airways will be restricted to one bag plus one small, personal item. The carry-on bag must be stowed under the seat in front of the passenger or in an approved overhead bin. Garment bags and small musical instruments are considered one of the allotted carry-on pieces.
Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers or laptops (case included). Pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item.
The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the “one-bag plus one personal-type item” limit:
- A child restraint device for a ticketed child with a reserved seat or when complimentary, available space exists.
- Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a customer can bring onboard the aircraft.
- Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
- Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.
- Walking canes or umbrellas.
AirTran Airways limits carryon bag dimensions to 24” long x 16” wide x 10” tall. If the bag exceeds these dimensions it is considered too large to be a carry-on item and must be checked.
The suitability of carry-on baggage will be determined by AirTran Airways.
All baggage charges are one-way for each fare-paying customer.
- First Checked Bag: For all coach class reservations, the charge for a first checked bag is $25 with size and weight limitations.
- Second Checked Bag: For all coach class reservations, the charge for a second checked bag is $35 with size and weight limitations.
- Excess Baggage: The excess baggage charge, for other than sporting equipment, will be $75 for each piece. Additional charges are applicable for bags exceeding the weight and size limits and some sporting equipment.
We make an exception to our checked baggage allowance policy for members of the military who are traveling on active duty orders. As long as each piece of baggage does not exceed 100 pounds in weight and 80 inches in size (length + width + height), baggage will be exempt from AirTran’s baggage limit, and will NOT be subject to excess, oversized, or overweight baggage charges.
For further details on baggage, as well as information about pets, and sporting equipment, please visit our Baggage Information page.
Back to FAQ Index | Next FAQ (Baggage Information)