frequently asked questions
Can I travel with a pet?
Small, domesticated cats and dogs that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat in front of you are accepted for travel.
Six (6) pets are allowed per flight with a limit of one (1) pet carrier per paying customer traveling on the same flight. However, from time to time, circumstances may allow for more (or fewer) than six (6) pet carriers per scheduled flight.
Of course, assistance animals providing support to Customers with a disability are always welcome onboard regardless of the number of pets already booked on the flight.
New Pet Fare Price: Effective 10/23/2013
- Pets traveling prior to January 15, 2014 are subject to a $75 Pet Fare each way per pet carrier.
- Pets traveling January 15, 2014 and beyond are subject to a $95 Pet Fare each way per pet carrier.
Airfare for a pet is non-refundable and is subject to change at any time.
In-cabin Pet Carriers
- The pet carrier is limited to maximum dimensions of 8.5” high x 18.5” long x 13.5” wide.
- The carrier must be leak proof and ventilated on at least two sides.
- The pet must remain in the carrier and under the seat for the duration of the flight.
- The pet carrier counts as either a passenger’s one (1) carry-on bag or personal item.
Pet Reservation and Payment Information
- AirTran-only Flights: Advanced reservations must be made by calling AirTran Airways at 1-800-AIR-TRAN (1-800-247-8726), and the Pet Fare payment will be required at that time. On the day of travel, Customers must bring the pet to the airport in an approved pet carrier. Proceed to the airport ticket counter to check the pet in before going to the departure gate.
- Shared-itinerary Flights: Pets are now allowed on flights that include a Southwest Airlines segment. However, advanced pet reservations are not available for shared itineraries at this time. On the day of travel, customers must bring the pet to the airport in an approved pet carrier. Proceed to the airport ticket counter to book the pet’s reservation and pay the Pet Fare before going to the departure gate.
- Southwest-only Flights: Information regarding pet travel on Southwest-only Flights can be found on southwest.com/pets.
International Travel — AirTran Airways does not allow pets to travel on international flights. Note: Pets are permitted to travel to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU).
In many airports, AirTran Airways sells Southwest Airlines branded pet carriers for $48 at the ticket counter.
AirTran Airways and Southwest Airlines do not transport pets as checked baggage.
Back to FAQ Index